Saturday, April 18, 2015

The Sleeping Calf

But I have calmed and quieted myself. I am like a weaned child with its mother; like a weaned child I am content. Psalm 131:2

My wife and I once lived in the country opposite a dairy farm. One late afternoon as we drove home, we passed an empty meadow. Empty except for one sleeping calf. The other cattle had gone to the barn for their evening milking.

The little one who was asleep was doing just what I wish to do soon--sleep. Though she would soon awaken, I shall sleep on until Lord Jesus comes. Those I leave behind will continue to work and to be immersed in the sufferings of this world.

But dead or alive we will all be answering the call to go to our real homes before long. I have so much more peace now, trusting in His mercy, than I ever had in my early years.

No comments:

Post a Comment