Monday, April 13, 2015

The Gift of the Button

For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance. Romans 11:29, KJV

for God's gifts and his call are irrevocable. Romans 11:29, NIV

When I was just getting into the Bible and the idea of being given spiritual gifts, I attended a little meeting of tongues speakers, just out of curiosity. It was quiet and dignified. After all, this was a Presbyterian tongues meeting.

People who I had never met were placing their hands on peoples' head and diagnosing them, kind of a spiritual MRI. When they came to me they asked if I was into astrology, and said I was yet perfected, but I definitely had the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

A lady came up to me with something in her hand. She gave me a large metallic button and said, "This is to help you remember that you have the Holy Spirit and always will." I was a babe in Christ, so I needed her reassurance. I never spoke in tongues, nor did I ever seek to. But I still remember her kindly manner.

People in the church need to learn, right away, that God chooses us and gives us spiritual gifts, quite apart from our merit. We are not striving to receive them or retain them. At least we should not be. We can lose our money or our lives, but God's gifts stay with us. We did not earn them, and we cannot lose them.

No comments:

Post a Comment