Friday, September 5, 2014

The Trapped Cat

In their greed these teachers will exploit you with fabricated stories. 2 Peter 2:3, NIV

As a child, I returned home one evening with my parents. In the darkness I heard the mewing of my cat, Blackie. He had become trapped in some cord my father used to tie up a bush. Immediately, my father took out his pocket knife and cut the cord, freeing Blackie.

This happened 73 years ago, but it is still in my mind. Not only do I love cats, but I have pity on people trapped in false religion.

Let me say right away that I do not trust anyone or any religion that makes money off people. The more prosperous such outfits are, the more they deceive.

Yes, I know, it takes money to operate a church. How could I not know?

But money equals temptation. Big surprise. No money, no temptation. People are trapped by false teachers and false religions, just as poor Blackie was tangled in the cord.

In his quotation, Peter warns of greed. This is not about honest difference of opinion, but of money. Simple as that.

Choir directors,assistant choir directors, multiple youth counselors--I don't see them in the church epistles. Mega "churches", miracle ministries, healing ministries that don't heal--who is surprised to find their false leaders make millions?

There is another way. I follow it and have for years.

I was so happy when my father released Blackie. I wish we could all be freed.

No comments:

Post a Comment