Saturday, September 27, 2014

Celebrity Chefs

And toward her young one that cometh out from between her feet, and toward her children which she shall bear: for she shall eat them for want of all things secretly in the siege and straitness, wherewith thine enemy shall distress thee in thy gates. Deuteronomy 28:57

My best friend and I read an article about a common factor among decadent cultures--cultures which were ending. To our surprise it was that in each, chefs were elevated to celebrity status. It seems that as we go downhill we emphasize our sensory pleasures. As much as I enjoyed Julia Child, mostly as a delightful person, I see the meaning of this trend.

The lady in the preceding verse of the above quotation is described as "delicate", refined; but under the desperate condition God describes, she eats her children. Elsewhere, we hear of women exchanging their babies. "You eat my baby, I'll eat yours." A wartime video shows a woman in a bombed out city using a tiny piece of bread to wipe the insides of a garbage can for nutrition.

I fear if I were let loose in your kitchen, my culinary creation might be something like "carbonated chocolate spaghetti". My cooking skill is limited to where to set my microwave to thaw out frozen meals. I admire those who make wonderful food (I love anything baked), but let's not get too proud.

Strange times are coming. Let us never leave God out of our feasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment