Friday, July 18, 2014

What the Bible Really Means

Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved , a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth. 2 Timothy 2:15, NIV

A man I knew from one of my classes disappeared for a while, a couple of months really. He had found another teacher, and this one was teaching him what the Bible really meant.

He looked at me with glowing eyes as he asked if I knew what the exodus stood for. I had thought for years that the exodus was all about Israel leaving Egypt. In fact I still do.

Recent discovery of the burned mountain top where Moses stood and God revealed his glory have been found. Even the altar that Moses erected is there. But not so, according to this man. The whole story was symbolic. The poor people who believed it was a mere literal event were ignorant. I assumed this included me.

His manner, once humble, had been transformed. He now oozed with pride. I tell his story because it illustrates what can happen when ignorant people fall under the spell of teachers who appeal to their egos.

Some claim to have the knowledge to confer instant wealth. Others claim that they will teach you how to perform tongues. The subject, of course, is "you", not the study of God and his Word.

Some normal, regular, people feel the need to gain power and knowledge that places them in a higher order. They're tired of being what they are. Uneducated people are likely to fall into this. They believe, not in study and patient work, but in the discovery of a "secret", that will give them an advantage. I believe that a background of learning can prevent this delusion.

I have a lot of respect for those who have mastered a discipline of any kind. It can be gardening or cooking, for example. These people know that patient application (often involving many mistakes) is the key to learning, not the discovery of a promised "secret".

1 comment:

  1. I agree. Patience and endurance, not a secret. My patience is with dogs. Over the years I have worked with them and actually was taught by one of my collies, Lassie. She was a wild woman and extremely smart. It was always a game of "who's the boss," with her. Lassie was not a push button dog and with her superior intelligence, she taught me patience. So, even though I took dog training classes with her, Lassie was really my teacher. Now, I can train any dog. Patience is the key to anything. As I am getting older with aches and pains and some disability, I patiently wait on the Lord. I am ready. I quietly study the Bible and talk to my uncle about the word of God. It is so much easier this way and enjoyable too. I do not go to church anymore. I do not need an ego push. I am happy reading the Bible and loving Jesus more and more each day.

    ReplyDelete