Thursday, June 5, 2014

The Dropped Baton

Ever seen a relay race where the runners, who would have won, lost because they dropped the baton? Then there are the jazzed up pass receivers in football who turn and run before they have a grip on the ball.

How many times scripture is wrongly interpreted because someone has not taken the time to read the following passages. Seems like the "fast food" idea has often been applied to Bible interpretation.

I've told you about my un-favorite passage in this regard. It is John 18:36: Jesus answered, "My kingdom is not of this world:" This fragment has been the basis for so many attempts to prove that his kingdom is "other worldly". Later, in the same verse, Jesus explains that it is not the time for his kingdom to be set up on earth. Jesus says, "but now is my kingdom not from hence".

I've heard pretend pious talk show hosts use it the wrong way, and in the church that I came from you would never get in trouble by using it this way. They hated for Jesus to be involved in an earthly kingdom. And this from people piling up money, property, stock, and honors. Just whose kingdom were they working for?

No comments:

Post a Comment