Sunday, February 16, 2014

Good Ship Lollipop Theology

As I woke up this morning I turned on a local religious station to hear a preacher saying that the parable of Lazarus and the rich man shows that, when we die, two angels carry our souls to paradise. "There is no soul sleep!" he said.

Quickly, I turned to NPR and heard a memorial to Shirley Temple. The only child to be America's favorite star for three years in a row. She wrote in her biography that when she was taken to see Santa Klaus, he asked for her autograph.

I feel Shirley did a lot of good cheering people up in the depression and was extremely talented. The segment closed with the playing of "On the Good Ship Lollipop" as a tribute to her.

I thought of the two items I had just heard. Miss Temple fooled no one, she just entertained them. No one went down to the docks expecting to see the Lollipop tied to a wharf.

Lobbyists for the corporate church are also diverting us, but with horrible, unbiblical lies. A little fantasy can be good. I like the original Star Trek, for instance. But must we be marinated in unreality from the pulpit? Isn't the truth good enough?

Where are the Watch Dogs of Biblical Orthodoxy? Why, I do believe they have sold out and checked their brains in the lobby.

Can I see any virtue in the lies that preachers so vigorously promote? Well, they pay well, at least in this life. Pleasing the devil by advertising for him kind of takes the pressure off. No one will be burned for promoting these lies. But when it comes to unreality, I prefer Captain Kirk, Spock and Shirley Temple.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting comparison, Gerald. She did entertain us all, didn't she, and she made it to 85, and did not go the way of so many child stars, to booze and drugs. It was an apparent life well lived. Love to you and yours,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane for your comment. You do understand what I am trying to say. Shirley was real, it is the paid liars who are phoney. Thank you so much for your encouragement.
      Gerald

      Delete