Wednesday, December 11, 2013

The God of Free Will

Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. John 1:13

Guess that's an exaggeration, but many people do tend to worship it. "The great monarch of the universe is helpless against one man's free will."

Wow, that's dramatic, isn't it? Yet I have heard this said. What an ego boost. "I arm wrestled with God and let him win." Jacob would have something to say about this, as he limped through life as a reminder of when he "strove with God". Some day the entire nation of Israel (the surviving remnant) will learn this lesson too.

There is an additional source of pride when we say that all people have free will, but we chose to use our free will to choose God, while others failed the test. Such people are proclaiming that they were superior to these lost ones. Those who fail to opt for God will burn in hell forever, and no wonder, it's their fault. Except those who never heard of Jesus, even his name. They will burn too, and forever.

I too believe that the unsaved will burn in hell. That is, their dead bodies will be disposed of that way. I'm so thankful for Isaiah chapter 66. It showed me the way to the truth, though at the expense of being called an "annihilationist". In some circles this is a very bad thing to be called.

I must admit, I could get kicked out of almost any church, at least those who care about doctrine. My Baptist friends, in horror, would try to straighten me out, so I wouldn't spend eternity in these flames. I love them anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment