Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Beauticians vs. Bible Teachers

Really, it's not a fair comparison in many cases. It's just that where I used to live, in Ohio, beauticians had to take a rather stringent test and be certified before they could operate, while Bible teachers did not. I'm all for beautician standards. I mean, they handle a lot of chemicals and can really mess someone up if they do things wrong.

Come to think of it, it's a lot like Bible teachers, except for the chemicals. A bad teacher can really mess people up too, starting with themselves. I know nothing about beauticians, but I've had a lot of experience with Bible teachers for about forty years or so.

I once asked a couple of pastors if there were any qualifications or tests for Bible teachers. I knew there were not, but I wanted to hear their responses. Would you believe they were a little perplexed. I mean, why would anyone ask such a silly question?

I had mentioned the qualifications for beauty operators, but they did not see any comparison. After all, these people work with ladies hair. They've got to get it right. Who wants to have their wife or daughter coming home with frizzy, purple hair?

On the other hand, a Bible teacher can't do much harm. He only works with the Word of God. About the only harm he can do, or fail to undo, is to let people fear they are going to a red hot "devils hell" upon death. There is no equating such responsibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment