Monday, April 29, 2013

Raul Dufy

Only let us live up to what we have already attained. Philippians 3:16

I once knew an artist who told me tales of famous artists. He was bitter that he had not achieved fame, or even recognition himself. He told me of Raul Dufy, who never really made it in the eyes of many. Paralysis of his hands later made his style rather sketchy.

But according to my artist friend, Raoul was unfazed. He told a story of Dufy painting a portrait of a man, not a very realistic or "representational" painting as artists would say. Then he addressed his subject, "Now try to look like that!"

To my artist friend, this was a very funny story--an artist telling his subject to conform to his portrait.

Now imagine someone, very skillfully making a portrait of you. It too, doesn't look like you. The picture shows you as perfect in every way. You are incredibly beautiful, or handsome. Your image gives off light. You want to look like this picture of an idealized you. The artist tells you, "Now try to look like this, because some day you will."

This is our situation now. I know I am not as I would like to be. But the Painter has told me that in His eyes, I have already attained it.

No comments:

Post a Comment