Saturday, March 23, 2013

The Great Erasure

For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered , nor come into mind. Isaiah 65:17

Remember the Magic Slate? I had one and drew and wrote on it. But you know what? I don't remember what I drew or wrote. Guess someone shook it and made my writings and drawings disappear. That is a child's experience, of course.

They promised me that as an old man, I would start forgetting things. Oh, that it were so. I am plagued with memories of the things that grieve me, for example. At night I have trouble sleeping as these memories come out to haunt me. There is something about darkness that allows them to torment me.

Guess that is why lovers close their eyes when they kiss, to shut out distractions. Well, I welcome distractions. I am afraid my kissing days are long past, but my memory days are still with me.

The promise of God to make new heavens is thrilling, and His promise that the old one will not be remembered is very comforting. I eagerly await the heavenly slate to erase the old.

No comments:

Post a Comment