Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Save the First Dance for Me

Then Miriam the prophetess, Aaron's sister, took a tambourine in her hand, and all the women followed her, with tamborines and dancing. Miriam sang to them: "Sing to the LORD, for he is highly exalted. The horse and its rider he has hurled into the sea." Exodus 15:20, 21, NIV

One beautiful summer night, my little cat danced. The Moon was full with clouds blown past it by powerful winds. You could hear every tree branch full of leaves being played like harps. The night was warm in an exhilirating way.

My little cat left my side and raced across the lawn. She arched her back as she stood still, feeling the breeze, then ran to and fro on the grass. It was that kind of night, when even my little cat had to dance.

I was trying to apply the Law of First Mention to the word "dancing" in the Bible. So many thought it was evil, and I suppose some forms may be. But I discovered Miriam and all the women celebrating with tambourines, as they danced. It was a victory dance, and she sang a victory song. It was not over her peoples' victory, but the greatest nation in the world being defeated for the sake of slaves. It was done, not by warriors, but by God.

I began to see the beauty of it all--David dancing as the ark was brought into the temple. Miriam the prophetess, David the king, what great joy there was in them, as they danced unto the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment