Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The Image of the Heavenly

And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.
First Corinthians 15:49

We have before us tragedy and joy. The tragedy I know of as you do. Many are living it now. Modern Christians object when I say that life itself is tragic. It ends in death. Is that not tragic?

Fulton Sheen once said, "Remember the happiest moment of your life, then think of it as going on forever." Such a wonderful thought! I know too well the earthy, and the earthy body. I cannot imagine the heavenly, either in body or joy, though I try.

It was said, Dante had no problem delineating the sufferings of hell, but when he tried to picture the joys of heaven, he was at a loss. Even the happiest things are sorrowful when they end and we recollect them. We need eternity and our new bodies for fullness of joy. That is what I think of every day.

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps we are returned a body as we had when we were younger, but one without thirst, without hunger, without sickness, without sorrow, and without angst. Perhaps a body of light with abundant patience and calm. I don't worry too much about this. I simply try to stick close to my faith, and try to be a lamb near that staff.

    ReplyDelete