Friday, February 15, 2013

"Know" is Such a Sexy Term!

I am afraid some people will think my term "sexy" is inappropriate, even blasphemous . Maybe one should say "intimate" instead. But since God invented sex, I think it is ok. After all, "intimate" could describe a candle lit dinner, but "know" or "knew" makes babies. Let me start from scripture:

And Adam knew Eve his wife: and she conceived and bare Cain,... Genesis 4:1

Again, And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, Genesis 4:17

This is more intimate even than candle lit dinners.

All I want to say is that the Bible often uses a term to imply very close intimacy when it says "know" or "knew".

When Mary is told by the angel that she is pregnant, she replies, Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man. Luke 1:34

Obviously Mary was aquainted with some men. Certainly her father, and Joseph, for examples. But her question is about more than that kind of knowing. Mary was a virgin.

Jesus uses the term also when he says, "And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." Matthew 7:23

Jesus knows the wicked, but not at all in the intimate way He knows us.

No comments:

Post a Comment