Wednesday, January 9, 2013

How Sweet It Is!

How Sweet are thy words, unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth! Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way.
Psalm 119:103, 104

I saw a film long ago of a father who taught this lesson literally. His son was still too young to read. He watched as his father took down the Bible from a shelf, opened it, and poured honey on the page. He had his son lick it off. Next time, he thought, the Bible was opened for him, the sweetness would be remembered.

Some of us read from the Bible to our children. On my birthday, long ago I was given a book of Bible stories by an aunt. She knew how to give good gifts. The book had wonderful pictures, which I still remember. Adam and Eve stood out, as did Noah. What a wonderful story that is. I understand that people around the world have similar tales of a flood. Even unbelievers know it.

Through this story book I learned to love the old testament. It was a short journey from a picture book to the text of the Bible, though I had no one to guide me. My parents were too busy with church work to read with me. I remember the pictures, though I looked at them in solitude. How nice it would be if we started with picture books, looking at them with our children, and explaining what they meant.

The aunt who gave me this wonderful book is dead now. She was an atheist, but she knew how to give good gifts. How ironic that an unbelieving lady gave me a book on the Bible which I still remember. While my Christian parents were too busy with church meetings to read with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment