Thursday, November 8, 2012

The Other Lazarus

An entire theology uses the story of Lazarus and the rich man as its basis. This story is becoming known now as a parable, not as a description of an afterlife.

But the story of the resurrection of Jesus' friend in John chapter eleven is no parable. It is a literal account. Martha understood what many today do not understand--the sleep of death.

Jesus says of his friend, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep. John 11: 11.

Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead. John 11:14.

I wonder why we do not hear of Martha's words, but instead hear of another Lazarus?

Jesus saith unto her, Thy brother shall rise again. John 11:23.

Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day. Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: John 11:24 and 25

Our theology has been diluted. So many do not understand. The clergy often mislead us, but Martha knew Jesus as a friend. Martha understood.

No comments:

Post a Comment