Friday, November 9, 2012

The Gate of Heaven

And he dreamed, and behold a ladder set up on the earth, and the top of it reached to heaven: and behold the angels of God ascending and descending on it. Genesis 28:12

And Jacob awaked out of his sleep, and he said, Surely the Lord is in this place; and I knew it not. And he was afraid , and said, How dreadful is this place! this is none other but the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven. Genesis 28:16,17

How lovely is Genesis. It is so easy to glorify these people, to make them super human. It is enough to realize they really lived. In some ways, they were children, primal people unmarked by civilization. But the first city was built by Cain and the mark was upon him. A sinner protected by God who had mercy upon him. How can anyone read these things and not feel the power and passion in them?

When my little cousin Mary Catherine died, so young, so innocent, I thought of her in heaven. I had not learned of the rapture. No one knew about it or told me of it.

I have seen her grave. I remember a sweet, quiet little girl, with long braids. Her mother loved to braid her hair. One week I was playing with her, then she was gone. I did not understand. I was not taught of the wonderful resurrection that awaits us.

All I knew was heaven and I wanted to be there. I wanted to go there and be with Mary Catherine. I still do. I want to go through that gate.

No comments:

Post a Comment